Boerewors balls, paired with Baronne
Boerewors balls with tomato and basil sauce, paired with Nederburg Baronne
From the kitchen of Thuli Gogela
+/- 450g boerewors, removed from casing
45ml (3 Tbsp) fine breadcrumbs
15ml (1 Tbsp) canola or olive oil
3 spring onions, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
½ red, yellow or green pepper, chopped
1 red chilli, seeds removed and chopped
3 tomatoes, peeled and diced
45ml (3 Tbsp) tomato paste
30ml (2 Tbsp) sweet and sour sauce
15ml (1 Tbsp) chutney
15ml (1 Tbsp) red wine vinegar
30ml (2 Tbsp) sour cream
1 chicken stock cube, crumbled
Handful fresh basil, chopped
2.5ml (½ tsp) dried mixed herbs
400ml (1 can) red kidney beans, drained
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. In a bowl, combine the boerewors and breadcrumbs. Form balls and place them on a greased baking tray.
3. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside.
4. In a medium sized saucepan, heat the oil on the stove and sauté the onion, garlic, pepper and chilli for approximately 2 minutes.
5. Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, sweet and sour sauce, chutney, red wine vinegar and sour cream.
6. Stir and cook for another 2 minutes.
7. Add the stock cube, fresh basil, dried herbs and beans. Add water if necessary. Stir and cook for 2 minutes.
8. Gently add the boerewors balls and adjust the seasoning according to your preference.
9. Remove from the heat and serve on a bed of mashed potatoes, pap or spaghetti.
10. Enjoy with Nederburg Baronne.